Treasurer gave report.
Timmye, who represented our region on the last State Conference Committee, is looking for a volunteer to replace her and participate in planning the next state conference.
There is ongoing discussion regarding participating in or contributing to a philanthropic cause:
May is mental health month. There is a walk this Saturday that we could participate in, but with only a few days notice, we could not have a table sponsored.
There is a lifestyle expo at the mall coming up.
There is the Out of the Darkness walk for suicide prevention coming up.
Mary’s shelter for unwed teenage mothers was again mentioned.
The YMCA is organizing bags for kids going in to foster care, we could help or contribute to that.
Robin will organize a small group to propose a few ideas and survey the group to decide on one project this year.
Hishani offered to research purchasing a banner with Fredericksburg VCNP and the logo on it.
There was discussion about getting handouts from the VCNP regarding the NP role. These could be distributed at the even we are attending/sponsoring.
Pharmaceutical dinner was at La Petite Auberge and sponsored by Diglegis.
submitted 5/16/16 JPSF
April 27, 2016
Members in attendance: Sue Klassen, Susan Adamson, Vicky Sullivan, Paige French, Barbara Call, Erin Morris, Pete Hill, Mary Atkins, Pamela Gipson, and Maretta Yoder.
Meeting location: Beyond Restaurant in Harrisonburg.
Meeting topic: What is “taxing” our practices?
The following issues were discussed:
1. Sentara RMH has switched to EPIC computer system; multiple members shared their frustration with adjusting to a new system and the need to still provide care for their patients.
2. Independent nurse practitioner practices and the resultant challenges.
3. Epidemic of substance abuse; challenges with providing pain management and risk of addiction in our patients. The seriousness of the responsibility that comes with writing narcotic prescriptions.
4. 2 nurse practitioner students were present and discussed the challenges with finding preceptor sites.
5. Paige French discussed RAM- remote area mission that will be taking place in Southwest Virginia the third weekend in July of 2016. Now accepting applications. Members were advised to let Paige know if they are interested in more information.
6. While discussing RAM- (#5) Pete Hill and Paige French expressed the importance of making sure our contracts have clauses regarding volunteer opportunities.
7. Paige French discussed a recent substance abuse conference that she attended at Virginia Commonwealth University.
8. Paige French and Erin Morris shared that they will be attending Board Meeting/Leadership training on May 14, 2016.
Tentative future meetings were planned:
August 2016- board meeting.
September 15, 2016- tentative plan to get a seasoned nurse practitioner to discuss her multiple roles as a provider or to discuss expectations of pre-op physicals. Depending on topic we may pursue getting CEU credits for this presentation.
October 13, 2016- tentative plan to have Paige French discuss substance abuse and the neurobiology of addiction.
February 9, 2017- tentative future meeting date.
April 13, 2017- tentative future meeting date.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Maretta Yoder, Secretary.
- The February NP holiday gathering in Idlewild was fun and relaxing. It was good to see everyone who attended!
- The VCNP conference will be at Williamsburg next year.
- Our regional local Spring Conference for 2017 was discussed: Friday vs Saturday vs Sunday for accessibility and good turnout was discussed. Timmye, Lisa, Cherie and Michelle will get together to discuss logistics.
- We discussed several ideas for philanthropy for our local VCNP group to help a non-profit organization and have a focused interest for our donation. Robin offered to coordinate an email effort to get feedback for ideas and organize them to present them to the group.
- Although we had discussed changing minutes to every other month, we now have sponsors for each month through July, so we will be meeting monthly.
- The dinner was at Bravo in Central Park and the speaker was Barbara Mercado, MD on women’s health issues and genetic testing she provides in her office.
Events and Conferences
2020 Richmond Pharmacology Symposium
The COVA Clinical Skills Symposium
2021 VCNP Annual Conference
3/10/2021 - 3/13/2021