All posts by Fredericksburg

Fredericksburg Regional Board Meeting 1/30/17

1)The post-holiday gathering is reserved for 2/11/17 from 11-2 at the Idlewild Clubhouse.  Michelle will look into Basilico’s/Wegman’s to cater.  Advertising the canoli and fruit tray from Wegman’s and having Bellini’s was discussed.  Michelle will sent an invite to all Fredericksburg members.

2)The Fredericksburg conference is set for 5/5/17 at the Fick Center 7:30-3.  (7:30 registration, 8am start time, 1 pm wrap-up, clean-up and clear-out by 3pm).  By the end of January, Cherie aims to have all the info for the 5 presentations.

3)VCNP state conference.  Laura P will be asked to attend the board meeting at the conference.  Timmye is attending and will purchase the basket for raffle.  $150 allowance was discussed for wine and dine themed basket representing our region.

4)Regional officers change in April.  Cherie is president, Linda considering president-elect.  All positions are up for anyone who wants to have a leadership role.

5)Michele will look into the constant contact availability through the VCNP for Karen and Brenda to send out meeting and membership info.  Alexis M, office manager at VCNP has been helpful and informative.

6)We support government relations efforts going for full NP practice authority.  We plan to include talking points from the VCNP at our local conference.

7)Philanthropy project for the spring/summer.  We discussed the various choices:  Empowerhouse, Micah Ministries, Christian Charities, Hope House.  We will vote on and chose our next recipient at the next local regional meeting.

 

VCNP Fredericksburg Region meeting minutes

12/12/16

We have 4 speakers lined up for our May local conference.  Dr. John Mclaughlan- Mindfulness; N.P. Elizabeth Wheatley-Mood disorders, treating bipolar disorder in primary care; Dr. William Anderson- Safe prescribing of Opiods for the PCP; Dr Fortunato- Why you need a colorectal surgeon.

Other possibilities to provide a lengthier conference were- Dr Franchi or Chiang of ID and/or Michele Earnest- Alternative medicine.

Our site has been granted:  The Fick Center, Auditoriums 1,2 and 3 are ours 5/5/17 from 8 am (onsite registration to start at 7:30am) to wrap up by 3pm.  Attendance approximated at 70, round tables of 7, AV equipment requested.

The VCNP state conference enrollment is open now.

Discussion of a holiday gathering either 2/11 or 2/15/17.  Michele will look into the Clubhouse at Idlewild for availability again this year.

Submitted 12/20/16 JPSF

Fredericksburg Region VCNP meeting 11/14/16

Happy nurse practitioner week! 11/13-11/19/16 is NP week, Congratulations to all of us!

Tiffany presented our treasury report.  Recent expenses included the board meeting dinner, and the banner which Hashani had made.  It looks great with the VCNP emblem.

We received $262 in dues.

Karen from membership stated that 11 people were dropped of the member list due to not paying their membership dues.  Please go on the VCNP website and check on your membership status if you are not sure when to pay your dues.

CVS minute clinic is hiring in the greater DC area.  Contact Piper if you are interested.

Mark Cole has invitations out for town hall meetings and legislative updates for November and December.  Contact a board member if you did not get an email invitation and would like to go!

Speaker was on the drug Alinia to treat Giardia, Cryptosporidium and C Difficile.

Submitted 11/16/16 JPSF

Frederisckburg Region VCNP meeting

10/10/16 meeting in Central Park.

Update from the Board of Directors meeting:  We are pursuing another bill for full practice authority again.  We are working at taking away the requirement for collaborating MD language.  Several regions are doing legislative meetings this fall.  The Fredericksburg region decided against this since we met with our legislators at our meeting last fall and such an enthusiastic turnout.  Contact the legislators you know personally to discuss what an NP is and does, and how this independent practice bill will benefit all Virginians.

Our lobbyist is Richard Grossman.

Treasurers report given.  We receive $25 annually for each member.  We now have 78 members.

We discussed and decided on a $500 donation to Mary’s Shelter along with the gift cards and supplies that were donated and collected tonight.  One more email reminder will go out for those who still want to contribute and then Karen and Michelle will deliver them to the shelter in late October or early November.

Cards were signed for Jessica, and flowers will be sent to her home now that she is finished with the final stage of her surgery.

The next meeting is 11/14/16.

We discussed the local conference at the Fick Center on 5/5/17.  The hospitality house will be giving Piper the final yes or no on use of the facility late October or early November.  A full day conference was discussed.  Suggestions for speakers and topics were suggested:

Dr William Anderson on pain management.  Michelle will talk to Dr Anderson.

Dr John Mclaughlin on mindfulness.  VIVA NPs will talk to Dr Mclaughlin

A social worker on professional boundaries.  Trish will talk to the social worker.

Infectious Disease MD on a topic.  Michelle will talk to Dr Chiang or Dr Franchi.

Dr Fortunato on colon cancer.  Tiffany will talk to Dr Fortunato.

Ideas, speakers and topics will need to be finalized by email before the next meeting 11/14/16, so outlines, goals and objectives can be sent in to the board for the CEs.

Submitted 10/12/16 JPSF

Fredericksburg Region VCNP meeting 9/12/16

Attendees were updated on the board meeting discussions.

A banner with a white backround and black writing with the blue VCNP logo was brought up for decision.  It was discussed and was unanimous to go with these colors for the banner we will take to event to represent our group.

We decided on Mary’s Shelter as our philanthropic interest this fall.  A list of supplies needed was emailed to the group and will be sent again by Karen.  A who attend the October meeting were asked to bring a supply, or a gift card to Walmart or Target.  Our VCNP Region will also pitch in money depending how many donations we have.  If the turnout for supplies is poor, we can hold over the collection until November.

Piper updated the group on the availability of the Fick Center for our May 5, 2017 local conference.  The Hospitality Center of Mary Washington Hospital Center books the Fick Center, so an application for use of the space was filled out and sent to them.  We heard back that we can use the space as long as a MWHC function does not want to use the same space at that time.  The Hospitality department will let us know by October or November if we are superceded.

Flowers will be sent by the group for Jessica, who works at Minute Clinic and sustained a traumatic injury this summer.  She is now home and progressing well.

Programs for October and November are set.

22 states have full practice authority.  We are still fighting for ours.

We have 83 members presently.

The State Conference still has lecture slots open if you want to speak or know someone who would do a good job speaking on a pediatric, mental health, or GYN topic.

A partial video was presented on Mary’s Shelter and sent via email to the group.

Michelle P will take over administration of our VCNP Facebook page.

A presentation from Akina Pharmacy on compounding medications they provide, included lists of commonly prescribed compounded formulations.  They are located in Chantilly VA.

Submitted 9/19/16- JPSF

 

Fredericksburg VCNP board meeting 8/16/16

Discussed service project/community event:  Breast cancer walk is 10/8- does that conflict with pharmacology day at Lewis Ginter Gardens?  Memory walk for Alzheimer’s is 10/15.  Fairy Godmother project gets together every 2 months to get meals together and cook in a group setting.  Mary’s shelter can always use donations of supplies.

Karen Hlywa will call Mary’s shelter to see what they need.  We will collect supplies at the September and October local meetings, letting members know gift cards are also welcome.  Our VCNP will also donate a one time check with the supplies.  The women’s forum will be held 3/2017 toward the end of the month.  We could have local NPs there(with our banner) to hand out pamphlets “what is an NP?” and consider raffling off a basket.

 

Hishani is working on our banner.  We are requesting a horizontal banner 72×24 inches for $69.00.  It will say VCNP Fredericksburg Region and have the VCNP logo on one side.

 

Brenda has meetings set up for September and October, consider taking a month off around the holidays.

Consider another “post-holiday” party like last year at the Idlewild clubhouse in January or February.

 

Discuss local conference in early May, a Friday, like May 5.  Cherie offered to do the CEU’s.  Piper will call the Fick center to see if we can use it for the event, and will report back at the next meeting.

 

Attendees:  Michelle Porthouse, Sherry Pemberton, Linda Hazelgren, Timmes Ross, Lisa Keel, Brenda Crum, Karen Hlywa, Cherie Wright, Tiffany Simmons, Piper Schlesser.

Fredericksburg VCNP meeting minutes 7/11/16

Introduction for new faces.

Looking for a new volunteer for the VCNP conference committee.  Linda Hazelgren is in that position now.

Looking for board members for next year.

Discuss ideas for community service projects:  T shirt “breast cancer survivor” example, memory walk, any walk.

The board will choose a service project at the meeting next month.

Discuss the Spring 2017 local conference.

We have 79 members now.

Discuss legislative reception in the fall.  Do it this year although we had one last year for the election year, or skip? Voted to skip this year, plan for next year.

Cindy Fagan’s email from the state asking if we want to join the VNA.  We voted against joining.

The Veterans Affairs wants to give full practice authority for all V.A. NPs.  They are accepting comments on the website until July 25.  Regulations.gov

Dues- please submit for this rotation by Sept 1.

Treasurer gave report.

Public relations chair discussed philanthropy ideas for our group.

August 8, next meeting  on Hereditary cancers at the Market.

Speaker regarding the Zoll Life Vest.

 

Submitted: 8/17/16 JPSF

Fredericksburg VCNP meeting minutes 6/13/16

The treasurer gave report.

The next program in July will be on life vests.

Mark Coles has retired, Cindy Fagan has taken over.  She provided talking points and a timeline for an October legislative reception hand outs to the government relations committee person.

PR- Nothing to report.

We now have 78 members.

Be sure to check out the VCNP website.  You can get information on where the various bills stand in the legislative process.  It is a good resource for form templates also.

The meeting at Renato’s featured Dr Maheshwari on Hepatitis C.

Submitted 6/15/16 JPSF

 

Fredericksburg Region Meeting Minutes 5/9/16

Treasurer gave report.

Timmye, who represented our region on the last State Conference Committee, is looking for a volunteer to replace her and participate in planning the next state conference.

There is ongoing discussion regarding participating in or contributing to a philanthropic cause:

May is mental health month.  There is a walk this Saturday that we could participate in, but with only a few days notice, we could not have a table sponsored.

There is a lifestyle expo at the mall coming up.

There is the Out of the Darkness walk for suicide prevention coming up.

Mary’s shelter for unwed teenage mothers was again mentioned.

The YMCA is organizing bags for kids going in to foster care, we could help or contribute to that.

Robin will organize a small group to propose a few ideas and survey the group to decide on one project this year.

Hishani offered to research purchasing a banner with Fredericksburg VCNP and the logo on it.

There was discussion about getting handouts from the VCNP regarding the NP role.  These could be distributed at the even we are attending/sponsoring.

Pharmaceutical dinner was at La Petite Auberge and sponsored by Diglegis.

 

submitted 5/16/16 JPSF

Fredericksburg Regional Meeting Minutes 4/11/2016

  • The February NP holiday gathering in Idlewild was fun and relaxing.  It was good to see everyone who attended!
  • The VCNP conference will be at Williamsburg next year.
  • Our regional local Spring Conference for 2017 was discussed:  Friday vs Saturday vs Sunday for accessibility and good turnout was discussed.  Timmye, Lisa, Cherie and Michelle will get together to discuss logistics.
  • We discussed several ideas for philanthropy for our local VCNP group to help a non-profit organization and have a focused interest for our donation.  Robin offered to coordinate an email effort to get feedback for ideas and organize them to present them to the group.
  • Although we had discussed changing minutes to every other month, we now have sponsors for each month through July, so we will be meeting monthly.
  • The dinner was at Bravo in Central Park and the speaker was Barbara Mercado, MD on women’s health issues and genetic testing she provides in her office.
submitted 5/2/16 JPSF