General membership meeting will be held on September 12, 2018 at Steinhilber’s Restaurant 653 Thalia Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Board Members Business meeting August 8, 2018 at 6:15 pm Healthy Living Center 930 Majestic Ave. Ste 110 Norfolk VA 23504
HB 793 passed in the General Assembly and was signed by Governor Northam! The next steps involve the Department of Health Professions (including the Boards of Nursing and Medicine) promulgating the regulations for how this bill will be implemented. As this process unfolds, you may have questions about what this bill might mean for you and your practice. Let us know your questions!
VCNP has created hotline is for the use of the members of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners, the professional organization representing NPs in Virginia. If you are not currently a member, we sincerely hope you will join us! Sign up today at https://www.vcnp.net/membership-application-and-renewal/ and stay informed about what is happening for NPs in Virginia!
If you are a member, please log in and look for the “Questions about HB 793” link in the “Advocacy” section.
Contact the Senate Education and Health Committee Members now! It is possible that HB 793 could be heard as early as Tuesday, February 20. This is the stage, with the Senate Sub-Committee and full Senate Committee, at which we will be proposing amendments to HB 793. We want you to know and trust that we will not let Virginia be an outlier. We have the commitment of our patron that we will not move forward with the bill if it remains in its current form.
Tell the Committee members that you support HB 793!
Chairman Newman – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7523
Richard Saslaw – email@example.com – 804-698-7535
Louis Lucas – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7518
Janet Howell – email@example.com – 804-698-7532
Mamie Locke – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7502
George Barker – email@example.com – 804-698-7539
Richard Black – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7513
Charles Carrico – email@example.com – 804-698-7540
Chapman Peterson –firstname.lastname@example.org– 804-698-7534
John A. Cosgrove – email@example.com – 804-698-7514
Lynwood Lewis – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7506
Siobhan S. Dunnavant –email@example.com – 804-698-7512
Amanda Chase – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7511
David Suetterlein – email@example.com – 804-698-7519
Mark J. Peake – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7522
- A reduction in hours requirements for the Transition to Practice program. This is a top priority for VCNP and its membership. We are working to educate our Senators that five full years of clinical experience requirements is excessive and has not been proven as a barometer for safe practice.
- Attestation will be a standardized form created by DHP with provisions for exceptions for NPs who may not be able to obtain the physician signature; for example, circumstances due to physician death.
- There is no provision for grandfathering NPs; however, existing experience will count towards years of experience qualifying for the transition time period. All eligible NPs will need to submit an attestation form to DHP to be able to practice unencumbered by the practice agreement requirement.
- Endorsement of NPs from other states will be considered under regulations with provisions for NPs from out of state to meet equivalent time requirements attested by a physician or other entity if the physician’s signature cannot be obtained.
- Removal of APRN titling because the definition excludes those early NPs whose educational programs granted certificates and not a master’s degree.
- Removal of redundant language from regulations restating provisions for periodic review of records, including site visits.
- Removal of language that NPs must have graduated from an educational program accredited by Commission on Collegiate Education, as this requirement has been met by virtue of licensure.
- Collaboration will be defined as to the degree of cooperation necessary to provide treatment and the collaboration is with MDs and other health care providers.
- Removal of language that NPs practice medicine.
The Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP) awarded a $2,000 scholarship to Cindy Fagan, DNPc, RN, FNP-BC, on Saturday, Nov. 4 during the Virginia Nurses Foundation Gala at The Omni Homestead Resort.
Fagan earned her BSN and MSN degrees from Virginia Commonwealth University and is currently a Doctorate of Nursing Practice candidate at the University of Virginia. Her anticipated graduation date is May 2018. Fagan’s nursing career spans 31 years, with 18 of those years spent in the nurse practitioner role.
“Cindy’s commitment to the veterans she works with and to her position here at VCNP are inspiring,” said Christine Daley, MN, RN, ANP, president of VCNP. “We look forward to seeing her continue to grow within this profession and this organization.”
With roles in primary care, hospitalist, endocrine, and infectious disease, Fagan has varied experience. She is currently settled in the Veterans Health Administration, having spent the past 12 years serving our nation’s veterans at the Hunter Holmes McGuire Medical Center. Fagan also serves as the government relations chairperson for VCNP and has also served as past-president of the statewide organization. Her responsibilities within that role are to advance VCNP’s mission and goals in terms of legislative initiatives including policy development, strategies and tactics, engaging member participation in advocacy activities, garnering stakeholder support, coalition building and coordination of legislative efforts throughout the state.
VCNP’s scholarship, which was awarded for the first time in 2010, honors nurse practitioners and their passion for quality health care. To date, VCNP has granted $9,000 in total to scholarship winners. The scholarship is funded through the generous membership participation of the basket raffle that occurs each year at the annual conference. Scholarship applicants must be members of VCNP who are enrolled in a doctoral program in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Applicants also must have completed 50 percent of the required hours of graduate study and exhibit academic excellence and a commitment to advanced practice nursing with strong clinical and leadership abilities.
Any who are able to meet at Orofino’s 1/15/18 at 6:30 will be discussing and filling out nominations for awards to be submitted. Come with your ideas!
General info for NPs will be found at the ‘Care for VA’ website
Discuss philanthropy from the last meeting:
Suicide walk/ support Mental Health America.
Women’s heart month.
Fairy Godmother event.
Next meeting in February is at Brock’s. Bring your researched ideas for philanthropy to pitch to the group!.. Tiffany will bring Safe Harbor, Piper will bring Micah ministries.
Submitted 1/29/18 JPSF
Events and Conferences
Tidewater September General Membership Meeting
Steinhilber's Restaurant 653 Thalia Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Northern Virginia Region Member Meeting
Sea Pearl Restaurant & Lounge, 8191 Strawberry Ln #2, Falls Church, VA 22042