VCNP-Shenandoah Region Board Meeting
January 31, 2017
Members in attendance: Paige French, Victoria Sullivan, Mary Atkins, Susan Adamson, Erin Morris, Ambi Zeller- Hahn and Maretta Yoder
Meeting Location: Go-To Meeting
Meeting topic: Update from the VCNP State Board Meeting and issues specific for Shenandoah Region.
The following issues were discussed:
- Full practice bill from December of 2016. VCNP found out VHHA was putting in their own bill. We will not move forward without AANP support. We want to take out team based care and increase access to care. VCNP is committed to vet our plans with AANP.
-Issues of concern: Employers say NP’s are not coming out of school prepared to be independent. –No board oversight of NP education in Virginia. –Online programs are being questioned.
- Challenge PAC funds. $2500 has been raised with goal of $10,000.00. This money is to support our legislators and must come out of PAC not from the organization. Members can donate directly on the website and challenge is $10.00 per member or a total of $720.00 for our region.
- Bylaws for the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Shenandoah Region were briefly reviewed and board members were encouraged to review more thoroughly on their own time.
- Discussion of the VCNP conference in Williamsburg on March 8-11. Attendees were reminded to bring non-perishable food items or money to donate to the Virginia Peninsula Food Bank.
- Call for nominations and elections. The Shenandoah region is currently accepting nominations for the President, President-elect and Treasurer. Nominations are due by March 1, 2017 and should be sent to Sharon Zook at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Susan Adamson updated us on membership. Currently 76 members. She will email the list of persons who have dropped their membership as well as complete list of members. Attendees were reminded to encourage others to get involved at the local and state level.
- Discussion of how to mentor new graduates and get them involved.
- We celebrated the Veterans Affair Hospital achieving full practice authority for nurse practitioners.
- Plan to post more information from the Shenandoah Region on our Facebook page in an effort to get more people involved.
- Victoria Sullivan gave a treasurer’s update. Approximately $6,000.00 in the account and $3,000 in a CD. The CD was further discussed and decision made for the new administration to consider the CD and what we want to do with this money. What is the purpose?
- After discussion, decision was made to offer an honorarium to Dr. Hedrick, who will be our speaker on ERAS at the February 2017 meeting. We appreciate her willingness to share her expertise with us.
- April meeting will be moved to April 20, 2017. Further details to come.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Maretta Yoder, secretary