September 15, 2016
Persons in attendance: Sue Klassen, Barbara Call, Vickie Carothers, Susan Adamson, Lynne Eggert, Jean Waters, Kasey Saunders, Sharon Strang, Kristin Hanger, Andrea Knopp, Chris Yutzy, Deonna Dearing, Pete Hill, Maretta Yoder, Mary Faith Dudley, Amy Chico, Erin Morris, Vicky Sullivan, Paige French, Tonia Martin, Drew White, Ruth Holmaas
Meeting location: Taste of Thai Restaurant in Harrisonburg, VA.
Meeting topic: “Clinical pearls for pre-op physicals” by Andrew White NP
–Minutes from the April 2016 meeting were approved.
-Vicky Sullivan, treasurer, reported $6,000.00 in our checking account and $3,000.00 in a CD.
-Current officers were introduced:
-President: Paige French
-Membership Chair: Susan Adamson
-Treasurer: Vicky Sullivan
-Secretary: Maretta Yoder
-Nominations: Sharon Strang
- Non-members in attendance were encouraged to get involved and become members. Plan is to have 2 spring meetings and 2 fall meetings annually.
- All members were encouraged to attend the VNA Legislative Dinner meeting on 10/12/2016, which is our next meeting. Contact Paige French to register if interested in attending.
- Sharon Strang was pleased to announce that Michele Hughes, a JMU student, received the VCNP scholarship.
- Andrea Knopp is the JMU representative to AANP. She shared that Virginia is in an uphill battle for independent practice. We were strongly encouraged to get active in our local government and fight for independent practice while not compromising our prescriptive authority. We need to engage our physician colleagues to advocate for full scope of practice to meet the needs of our patients. The Veterans Administration wants us to have full practice authority in their facilities, which will only help our cause. In addition, we need to reach out to other APRN’s and support each other.
- Next meeting will be in collaboration with VNA at Augusta Health for our Legislative Dinner Meeting October 12th then on February 9, 2016. We should all be thinking of a venue and speaker.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Maretta Yoder, Secretary.