Contact the Senate Education and Health Committee Members now! It is possible that HB 793 could be heard as early as Tuesday, February 20. This is the stage, with the Senate Sub-Committee and full Senate Committee, at which we will be proposing amendments to HB 793. We want you to know and trust that we will not let Virginia be an outlier. We have the commitment of our patron that we will not move forward with the bill if it remains in its current form.
Tell the Committee members that you support HB 793!
Chairman Newman – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7523
Richard Saslaw – email@example.com – 804-698-7535
Louis Lucas – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7518
Janet Howell – email@example.com – 804-698-7532
Mamie Locke – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7502
George Barker – email@example.com – 804-698-7539
Richard Black – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7513
Charles Carrico – email@example.com – 804-698-7540
Chapman Peterson –firstname.lastname@example.org– 804-698-7534
John A. Cosgrove – email@example.com – 804-698-7514
Lynwood Lewis – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7506
Siobhan S. Dunnavant –email@example.com – 804-698-7512
Amanda Chase – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7511
David Suetterlein – email@example.com – 804-698-7519
Mark J. Peake – firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-698-7522
- A reduction in hours requirements for the Transition to Practice program. This is a top priority for VCNP and its membership. We are working to educate our Senators that five full years of clinical experience requirements is excessive and has not been proven as a barometer for safe practice.
- Attestation will be a standardized form created by DHP with provisions for exceptions for NPs who may not be able to obtain the physician signature; for example, circumstances due to physician death.
- There is no provision for grandfathering NPs; however, existing experience will count towards years of experience qualifying for the transition time period. All eligible NPs will need to submit an attestation form to DHP to be able to practice unencumbered by the practice agreement requirement.
- Endorsement of NPs from other states will be considered under regulations with provisions for NPs from out of state to meet equivalent time requirements attested by a physician or other entity if the physician’s signature cannot be obtained.
- Removal of APRN titling because the definition excludes those early NPs whose educational programs granted certificates and not a master’s degree.
- Removal of redundant language from regulations restating provisions for periodic review of records, including site visits.
- Removal of language that NPs must have graduated from an educational program accredited by Commission on Collegiate Education, as this requirement has been met by virtue of licensure.
- Collaboration will be defined as to the degree of cooperation necessary to provide treatment and the collaboration is with MDs and other health care providers.
- Removal of language that NPs practice medicine.