April 27, 2016
Members in attendance: Sue Klassen, Susan Adamson, Vicky Sullivan, Paige French, Barbara Call, Erin Morris, Pete Hill, Mary Atkins, Pamela Gipson, and Maretta Yoder.
Meeting location: Beyond Restaurant in Harrisonburg.
Meeting topic: What is “taxing” our practices?
The following issues were discussed:
1. Sentara RMH has switched to EPIC computer system; multiple members shared their frustration with adjusting to a new system and the need to still provide care for their patients.
2. Independent nurse practitioner practices and the resultant challenges.
3. Epidemic of substance abuse; challenges with providing pain management and risk of addiction in our patients. The seriousness of the responsibility that comes with writing narcotic prescriptions.
4. 2 nurse practitioner students were present and discussed the challenges with finding preceptor sites.
5. Paige French discussed RAM- remote area mission that will be taking place in Southwest Virginia the third weekend in July of 2016. Now accepting applications. Members were advised to let Paige know if they are interested in more information.
6. While discussing RAM- (#5) Pete Hill and Paige French expressed the importance of making sure our contracts have clauses regarding volunteer opportunities.
7. Paige French discussed a recent substance abuse conference that she attended at Virginia Commonwealth University.
8. Paige French and Erin Morris shared that they will be attending Board Meeting/Leadership training on May 14, 2016.
Tentative future meetings were planned:
August 2016- board meeting.
September 15, 2016- tentative plan to get a seasoned nurse practitioner to discuss her multiple roles as a provider or to discuss expectations of pre-op physicals. Depending on topic we may pursue getting CEU credits for this presentation.
October 13, 2016- tentative plan to have Paige French discuss substance abuse and the neurobiology of addiction.
February 9, 2017- tentative future meeting date.
April 13, 2017- tentative future meeting date.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Maretta Yoder, Secretary.