Category Archives: All News

Fredericksburg region VCNP board meeting 7/12/17

Membership and recruiting was discussed.  We have some new members but still know the majority of NPs in this region are not involved.  At the state level, there is grassroots movement for membership and involvement for full practice authority.

The legislative meeting will be held 9/11/17.  Cathy will ask Moss Free Clinic if we can use their space again this year.  We will make a donation as a gesture of thanks.  We will provide finger foods: shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers, veggie tray and humus will be supplied, drinks will be tea and water.  The legislators don’t drink alcohol at these events, so we will not buy that this year.

We will invite the mayor, Mary Katherine Greenlaw, some of our physician supporters and send out an email to the NPs at the hospital to invite them.  We will send evites to legislators, delegates and senator.  Paper invites will follow to those who don’t respond, followed by a phone call to confirm they got the invite and whether or not they can make it.

We need to emphasize the impact of NPs on physician practices, the benefits and cost saving to them as well as patient satisfaction.  The lawyer representing the VCNP has voiced this to the Med society of VA well so far.  MDs will also be getting vignettes from NPs affected by their lack of independent practice.   Our talking points are on the VCNP website.

The VCNP annual conference will be in Reston this year, and space is limited, so the offerings will also be limited.

Danielle had to step down as president elect.  Timmye is willing to take over conference committee next year, but the position will be posted to see if anyone else is interested.  Linda is willing to be  president elect, but that position will also be posted.

Membership is considering consolidating membership cycles to once a year.  They are considering a 1 time 18 month off-cycle fee to get everyone on the same cycle to decrease cost and confusion.

Financial- Tiffany gave our local treasury report.  The VCNP contract with Easter was renewed.

The Night of 1000 Pies fundraiser for Empowerhouse is Saturday 8/26/17 7-10 pm at Dr O’Grady’s home.  Tiffany, Cherie, Linda and Cathy are interested in attending.  An email to membership will go out to see if anyone else is interested.

Fredericksburg will host a local CE conference again in 2019.  The MWHC venue was nice, Friday might not be a good day to have it.  We discussed having participants “pay” with a donation to the charity at the time of registration so they are invested in coming.

Linda circulated the list of possible speakers to see if anyone felt strongly about any of them so she can report back to the state conference committee.

 

Submitted 7/13/17 JPSF

Frederickburg region meeting minutes 7/10/17

Our philanthropy project, Empowerhouse , is hosting a fund-raising ” pie social”.  Groups or individuals can give donations which are designated by pie names.  Our region will sponsor a “Whoopie Pie” level donation for $500.00.  We will get four free tickets, and additional tickets can be purchased for $75 a piece.

The local board will meet to plan the events for the next 12 months at Orofino’s on 7/12/17 at 6:30pm.

Linda shared an update on the state conference.  She is interested in participant info, so get her names of speakers you’ve liked in the past.

Membership is 76.

Award and nominations will be forthcoming.  We will get together to brainstorm and submit some nominations.

Donna Bowser at Moss Free Clinic is retiring.

 

Submitted 7/13/17 JPSF

 

Fredericksburg Region VCNP meeting minutes 6/12/17

The state conference is now accepting names for speakers for the next conference.  Contact them with ideas.  The conference will be in Reston VA 3/8-3/11/17.

We now have 76 members, an increased amount of students and new members.  Some NPs have been lost due to not knowing when their dues are.  The VCNP is good about contacting members by email several times to remind them they are coming due, so make sure your contact info is up to date with the VCNP.  There was discussion re: annual renewal.

July meeting is on Linzess at The Mercantile.

August discussion- should we have a meeting or take the month off?  We will need to plan for our legislative meeting in September, so we will plan to have a meeting.

Legislative update.  We are going for full practice authority after much work and collaboration with like-minded groups.

We will align our local nominations with the state nurse nominations so we can get some great names in for nominations!

Treasurer’s report was given.

Philanthropy- Empowerhouse has been our project for the spring.  We collected donations during our local conference.  There is also a “Night of 1000 pies” being held to support Empowerhouse on 8/26/17.  It will be at Dr Rosemary O’Grady’s home and they are looking for sponsorship.  Our VCNP could sponsor an “alamode” level for $250 and includes 2 tickets, or a Whoopie level of $500 and get 4 tickets,  An email will be sent to see who would be interested in attending.

Jessica thanked us for the flowers and card.

Next local Board meeting to be decided between 6/27 or 7/12 at Orofino or Legume.

Submitted 6/16/17 JPSF

Fredericksburg Region meeting minutes 4/10/17

We had a presentation by Cynthia Smith, DNP from Renal Consultants on Veltassa.

Our board members elected in March to a 2 year term are:

President: Cherie Wright

President elect:  Danielle Chellapoo

Secretary: Piper Schlesser-Foresman

Treasurer: Tiffany Simons

Past president: Michelle Porthouse

Gov Relations:  Cathy Duncan

Membership:  Karen Hlywa

Public Relations:  Lisa Keel

Nominations: Delisa Showers

State Conference : Linda Hazelgren

Programs: Brenda Crum

Local Conference Committee:  Cherie Wright and Timmye Ross

 

Our local conference is set for 5/5/17 at the Fick Center 7:30am arrival with conference 8am until around 1:30pm.

The CEs for the conference are 3.5, with 1.75 for pharmacology to equal 5.25 total!

Linda will compare food choices from Wegmans vs Panera vs Eileen’s.

Empowerhouse will be our charity (philanthropy project this spring)

Piper will bring the banner and tablecloths for all the tables

Update on legislative news:  We are still working on independent authority.

Discussion was held again about the pros and cons of certificate of attendance for meetings vs CE vs dinner

Next meeting May 8 on Xarelto.

Submitted 5/11/17 JPSF

 

Shenandoah Region Board Meeting Minutes January 31, 2017

VCNP-Shenandoah Region Board Meeting

Meeting Minutes

January 31, 2017

 

Members in attendance:  Paige French, Victoria Sullivan, Mary Atkins, Susan Adamson, Erin Morris, Ambi Zeller- Hahn and Maretta Yoder

Meeting Location:  Go-To Meeting

Meeting topic:  Update from the VCNP State Board Meeting and issues specific for Shenandoah Region.

 

The following issues were discussed: 

  1. Full practice bill from December of 2016. VCNP found out VHHA was putting in their own bill. We will not move forward without AANP support.  We want to take out team based care and increase access to care.  VCNP is committed to vet our plans with AANP.

-Issues of concern:  Employers say NP’s are not coming out of school prepared to be independent.  –No board oversight of NP education in Virginia.   –Online programs are being questioned.

  1. Challenge PAC funds. $2500 has been raised with goal of $10,000.00.  This money is to support our legislators and must come out of PAC not from the organization.  Members can donate directly on the website and challenge is $10.00 per member or a total of $720.00 for our region.
  2. Bylaws for the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Shenandoah Region were briefly reviewed and board members were encouraged to review more thoroughly on their own time.
  3. Discussion of the VCNP conference in Williamsburg on March 8-11. Attendees were reminded to bring non-perishable food items or money to donate to the Virginia Peninsula Food Bank.
  4. Call for nominations and elections. The Shenandoah region is currently accepting nominations for the President, President-elect and Treasurer.  Nominations are due by March 1, 2017 and should be sent to Sharon Zook at strangsl@jmu.edu.
  5. Susan Adamson updated us on membership. Currently 76 members.   She will email the list of persons who have dropped their membership as well as complete list of members.  Attendees were reminded to encourage others to get involved at the local and state level.
  6. Discussion of how to mentor new graduates and get them involved.
  7. We celebrated the Veterans Affair Hospital achieving full practice authority for nurse practitioners.
  8. Plan to post more information from the Shenandoah Region on our Facebook page in an effort to get more people involved.
  9. Victoria Sullivan gave a treasurer’s update. Approximately $6,000.00 in the account and $3,000 in a CD.  The CD was further discussed and decision made for the new administration to consider the CD and what we want to do with this money.  What is the purpose?
  10. After discussion, decision was made to offer an honorarium to Dr. Hedrick, who will be our speaker on ERAS at the February 2017 meeting.  We appreciate her willingness to share her expertise with us.
  11. April meeting will be moved to April 20, 2017. Further details to come.

 

The meeting was then adjourned.

Respectively submitted,

Maretta Yoder, secretary

 

 

Shenandoah Region General Meeting Minutes February 2017

VCNP-Shenandoah Region

Meeting Minutes

February 9, 2017

 

Members in attendance:  Ruth Holmaas, Ambi Zeller-Hahn, Mary Faith Dudley, Sharon Zook, Susan Adamson, Maretta Yoder, Beth Poore-Bowman, Mary Atkins

 

 

Meeting Location:  Emilio’s Restaurant in Staunton, VA.

 

 

Meeting topic:  “ERAS-Enhanced Recovery After Surgery” by Dr. Traci Hendrick from UVA. 

 

 

Business Meeting:

 

Minutes from the September 2016 meeting were approved.

 

-It is time for elections- President elect and treasurer positions are open.  Anyone with nominations is encouraged to e-mail names to Sharon Zook.

 

-Challenge PAC funds were discussed.  Each member of the VCNP is encouraged to donate $10.00 towards this initiative.  Envelopes were distributed at this meeting.

 

-2 local physicians have openings for nurse practitioners- Dr. Rebecca Botticelli with the local VA clinic has a full time position and Dr. Shafqat has an opening for 1 week a month.

 

-Discussed potential locations for future meetings.  Recommendation was made to use a conference room at Sentara RMH with meal catered by Taste of Thai Restaurant.  Maretta Yoder will check on details.

 

-Next meeting will be April 20, 2017.  Topic and location to be announced.

 

 

 

The meeting was then adjourned.

 

Respectively submitted,

 

Maretta Yoder, Secretary

 

Shenandoah Region General Meeting Minutes September 2016

VCNP-Shenandoah Region

Meeting Minutes

September 15, 2016

 

Persons in attendance:  Sue Klassen, Barbara Call, Vickie Carothers, Susan Adamson, Lynne Eggert, Jean Waters, Kasey Saunders, Sharon Strang, Kristin Hanger, Andrea Knopp, Chris Yutzy, Deonna Dearing, Pete Hill, Maretta Yoder, Mary Faith Dudley, Amy Chico, Erin Morris, Vicky Sullivan, Paige French, Tonia Martin, Drew White, Ruth Holmaas

 

Meeting location:  Taste of Thai Restaurant in Harrisonburg, VA.

 

Meeting topic:  “Clinical pearls for pre-op physicals” by Andrew White NP

 

Business Meeting:

 

Minutes from the April 2016 meeting were approved.

 

-Vicky Sullivan, treasurer, reported $6,000.00 in our checking account and $3,000.00 in a CD.

 

-Current officers were introduced:

-President:  Paige French

-Membership Chair:  Susan Adamson

-Treasurer:  Vicky Sullivan

-Secretary:  Maretta Yoder

-Nominations:  Sharon Strang

 

  1. Non-members in attendance were encouraged to get involved and become members.  Plan is to have 2 spring meetings and 2 fall meetings annually.

 

  1. All members were encouraged to attend the VNA Legislative Dinner meeting on 10/12/2016, which is our next meeting.  Contact Paige French to register if interested in attending.

 

  1. Sharon Strang was pleased to announce that Michele Hughes, a JMU student, received the VCNP scholarship.

 

  1. Andrea Knopp is the JMU representative to AANP.  She shared that Virginia is in an uphill battle for independent practice.  We were strongly encouraged to get active in our local government and fight for independent practice while not compromising our prescriptive authority.  We need to engage our physician colleagues to advocate for full scope of practice to meet the needs of our patients.  The Veterans Administration wants us to have full practice authority in their facilities, which will only help our cause.   In addition, we need to reach out to other APRN’s and support each other.

 

  1. Next meeting will be in collaboration with VNA at Augusta Health for our Legislative Dinner Meeting October 12th then on February 9, 2016.  We should all be thinking of a venue and speaker.

 

 

The meeting was then adjourned.

 

Respectively submitted,

 

Maretta Yoder, Secretary.

Fredericksburg Regional Board Meeting 1/30/17

1)The post-holiday gathering is reserved for 2/11/17 from 11-2 at the Idlewild Clubhouse.  Michelle will look into Basilico’s/Wegman’s to cater.  Advertising the canoli and fruit tray from Wegman’s and having Bellini’s was discussed.  Michelle will sent an invite to all Fredericksburg members.

2)The Fredericksburg conference is set for 5/5/17 at the Fick Center 7:30-3.  (7:30 registration, 8am start time, 1 pm wrap-up, clean-up and clear-out by 3pm).  By the end of January, Cherie aims to have all the info for the 5 presentations.

3)VCNP state conference.  Laura P will be asked to attend the board meeting at the conference.  Timmye is attending and will purchase the basket for raffle.  $150 allowance was discussed for wine and dine themed basket representing our region.

4)Regional officers change in April.  Cherie is president, Linda considering president-elect.  All positions are up for anyone who wants to have a leadership role.

5)Michele will look into the constant contact availability through the VCNP for Karen and Brenda to send out meeting and membership info.  Alexis M, office manager at VCNP has been helpful and informative.

6)We support government relations efforts going for full NP practice authority.  We plan to include talking points from the VCNP at our local conference.

7)Philanthropy project for the spring/summer.  We discussed the various choices:  Empowerhouse, Micah Ministries, Christian Charities, Hope House.  We will vote on and chose our next recipient at the next local regional meeting.